Slightly sarcastic, these are my thoughts on the things going on in MY world.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Rambling Rose and Other Cliches

Oops, she did it again. My middle child, my second daughter, Snark-Girl, just said the exact same thing at the same time as me - which has been happening abso-freaking-lutely so often lately as to be scary. She's said for the longest time that she lives in my head - I guess she's just proving it by speaking right alongside of me. Although my brain is getting rather crowded with her in there. And I need all the room I can get right now, as I've recently started a new job.

Let me be blunt, here. I'm no spring chicken. I think I'm more in the mid-autumn of my life, if I were truly honest. And I have no idea how I managed to get the position I currently have. Some people say it was my resume; others say it was the company I worked for previously - all I know is that I walked away from a month shy of 26 years employment with the same firm, fully expecting to poddle my way through a summer at home, dealing with Snark-Boy and trying to go through the mass of clutter and junk in my home, while trying to pull together clothes to donate, so we could get a tax write-off next year. Lofty goals, I know. But, it was not to be, much to my vast surprise.

A scant two weeks after turning in my keys and cleaning out my desk and surrounding work area, I got an email asking if I was still in the job market. Huh? Who ratted me out? This wasn't my plan! But, the Snark-Man had been making much noise about me getting a job and bringing in more much-needed money to the household, so I replied that I was available. An interview (which wasn't called that) was set up for the next day (my oldest daughter's birthday), and I planned the appropriate interview attire. Of course, this entailed a shopping trip to Target - everybody enjoys a trip there! - so I could maybe find something new and get some pantyhose, as I'd been able to wear jeans for the last year or so of my previous employment.

Long story short (which they never seem to be, really, coming from me), I was hired. Although, the road is never a smooth one for me - I didn't get the offer letter for the job until after two days of cross-training with the person who was currently in the position. So my start day was two days after I really started working. Confused yet? Anyway, that was the real reason for the rush on hiring me (she'd given her two-week notice) - but, not only were my skills right up their proverbial alley, I was also very familiar with the commercial real estate market, having just finished up working for a privately-held commercial real estate firm. But, those two days were gifted back to me as days I could use for leave without touching any leave I might have accrued, or time I needed to take off before my 90-day praobationary period expired, and I was permitted to begin using leave.

But, again, all is not rosy in Snark-ville. The particular packages that were mentioned in the non-interview interview as being something I shouldn't worry about, as someone else was able to do those - were a HUGE factor in being able to do the job. So, here I am, 7 weeks into this job, and I can finally say that I am feeling comfortable with the job requirements. Of course, I fully expect something new to be asked/demanded of me tomorrow, and I'll be knocked back on my keester and feeling dumber than dirt all over again.

But you know what? I don't think I'd have it any other way. I don't mind admitting that I don't know how to do things, as long as people understand and give me some time to learn what it is they think I should know! And I like keeping my brain limber - which is definitely happening with all the new packages, tasks and chores that are coming my way here!

Anyway, that's enough rambling about the job, without going into specifics - which I won't do here - I'm not going to name names and companies. This old dog is learning lots of new tricks, and I'm happier for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment