Slightly sarcastic, these are my thoughts on the things going on in MY world.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Update

Well, apparently my CPU was so old that it couldn't be saved. So I'm functioning with a 3-year old CPU that the IT guy found in our computer graveyard. He managed to import "almost" everything that I need to function at the office from the old CPU to the new one, but I've lost my barn owl tile that I had on my desktop. Funny how it's the little things you miss more than the truly functional ones.

I had to send an email to him earlier today to ask about two situations that still needed to be resolved. He "phoned it in" and asked me to provide him remote access to my desktop computer so that he could fix them. (I tell you, he's a real piece of work!) And watching my screen go black as he worked his alleged magic from wherever he was was a bit creepy - I felt like my desktop was possessed - it was doing stuff, and I wasn't the one doing it!

After he fixed (yes, he did - he's good, even if I don't personally like the guy) the two situations, I made sure to take off the remote access permission, and changed passwords on the packages he'd been helping me with. I feel like that was the smart thing to do. Especially since one of them was my personal email, that I'm having to use as both my boss's and my business email, since our email server has died, never to come back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment