Slightly sarcastic, these are my thoughts on the things going on in MY world.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Some Cheese With My Whine

Mr. Snark-It is on business travel this week. While I admit I am a complainer, often silently (oh, the conversations I have in my head!), sometimes not, about what he does or doesn't do around the house, I always find myself vastly appreciative of him when he's NOT around. If only I could carry it forward to when he IS home.

Yesterday was one of those days - guess it was payback for having had Monday off. Just enough of a dusting of icy sleet and snow to delay school for two hours, thus putting me arriving at work close to lunchtime! And I knew I was going to have to skip out a bit early due to the aforementioned Mr.'s travel to pick up Snark-Boy from SACC. Add to that a music lesson for S-B, and a needed grocery run, and my day was already looking a mite crazy. But, I needed one more thing on my plate to push the envelope over to full-fledged nuts. Of course, I got it.

My wonderful mother had spent Monday assisting me with some much-needed home picking & putting. She came back on Tuesday to finish putting my living room back to rights after Christmas (we have a "box tree" - wanna make something of it??), and she planned to wash my tile floor in the kitchen and foyer. Imagine my surprise upon receiving a call telling me that the power had gone off! (Snark-Girl, who's home from school, now informs me she's going to go to her other grandparent's house to do some computer work. She may or may not be home later, we'll see what the power does.) Did I have a number to call to report it? Nope, not on me, although we'd just gone through this exercise last month with a 36-hour power outage in our neighborhood.

Sneak away from work early, get S-B from SACC, and head home. Yup, power's still off. Okay, so no leftovers reheated in the microwave for dinner - guess we'll be eating sandwiches. Need to get going on S-B's homework, so I drag together all my candles and flashlights and rig up a hanging flashlight attached to my kitchen table light and start him on his work. It's not perfect, but it works. Then, the power is magically restored! Hurray! Quick run at the microwave for dinner. S-G comes home to grab clothes and other necessary items for school, and decides to stay overnight, even though the power is obviously on. Dinner done, now let's get out the door for the music lesson. While he's there, I walk down to the grocery store and get my few items. Back to Music & Arts, where I steal a few minutes with my beloved KindleDX. Lesson over - a few minutes in discussion with the instructor, and we're headed back home. Maybe we can squeeze in some more homework.

Wrong. The lights are off again! We go though this THREE more times throughout the night, before they finally get the power restored (I hope I hope I hope) about 5:30 this morning! Got my shower, coffee started and S-B woken up and dosed with his meds. Okay, now for both of us to get dressed so I can get the dog out. Downstairs and let's do breakfast and pack lunches. Power's STILL on. Keep on truckin' through the morning routine, and... we're out the door.

It remains to be seen whether the power has fritzed while I'm off at work. It always amazes me how much we take things for granted - until we DON'T have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment