Slightly sarcastic, these are my thoughts on the things going on in MY world.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

On My Way Home Last Night .....

I don't know what it is about me, but I seem to draw the loony drivers around me like flies. On my way home last night, I got stuck behind an SUV/CUV with diplomatic tags - first indicator. The driver, a female (and we wonder where all those stories about bad female drivers come from?), was giving plenty of room in front of her - second indicator. This is something that absolutely sets my teeth on edge, as I have been driving this route to and from work and home for at least 15 years, and unfortunately for me, expect the same level of competency from all the other drivers around me as I have. It is a sign of driving weakness to leave vast amounts of room in front of your car - it's practically an invitation to constantly be cut off - and is a major source of annoyance to me when I get behind one of these drivers. (No, I don't suffer from road rage, thankyouverymuch.)

As we crept around the on-ramp towards the highway, she continued to leave loads of space. Once up on the highway, you're expected to ramp your speed up to that of other drivers/the posted speed for the highway. Not only does she not speed up, she's still leaving all that space!!! This woman is driving 35 mph in a 55-60 mph area. Ay-yi-yi! I was stuck for a bit, but did manage to get past her before too much steam erupted from my ears and perma-fogged the inside of my vehicle.

Next encounter was with a younger female driver. She seemed to be having trouble determining where she was supposed to be on the highway (guess she had no GPS to help her out) - had her right turn indicator on perma-blink. She also was driving below the posted speed, which can cause an accident all by itself. But she did all that one better, she not only cut someone off in the right lane as she realized she was about to pass her exit, she then got stuck in no-man's land between the highway and the exit lanes, and then she proceeded to cut someone else off as she darted her car in front of them - I'm not sure if she looked before she did this or not. I witnesed all this from about 3 cars behind her, and one exit prior to mine.

Maybe it's the vehicle I drive (an older mini-van) - people always are trying to get in front of me. I don't drive slow, I don't cart around a horde of kids to distract me, and I'm not on my cell phone (although I do have a bluetooth for when I do get a call (rarely)). 3 guesses - it's my van. I know my trip home will take a certain amount of time, and usually I'm okay with letting things just happen around me, but sometimes they're above and beyond the usual, and just bear sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment